On Higher Ground
Transitional Housing and Re-Training – for those re-entering the community and actively seeking a new way to live.
Our mission statement succinctly describes what we envision.
On Higher Ground is dedicated to providing safe, secure, places of recovery for restoration and multilevel healing, through structured lodging, case management, counseling, referral and advocacy. Available primarily for residents of Santa Cruz County, and then surrounding areas, who demonstrate a willingness to change and seek a new manner of living through active recovery-participation.
Our project objectives are to:
- Inspire hope and empower the individual to estimable activities and service to others
- Promote creation and retention of self-care skills, physical fitness and nourishment habits
- Promote goal setting, planning, peer-to-peer support and mentoring
- Initiate and review life plans
- Evaluate, elevate, assist and develop scholastic, job, entrepreneurial skills and small business development
- Foster and promote community interest and involvement; engaging in, community services and/or developing community activities and service projects
- Serve very-low, low and moderate-income individuals
- Include participation of low-risk, non-violent paroles
- Partner with other public and private community organizations and companies.
When we engage others we effect how others engage.™
We are a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization – Help us fulfill our mission.
Charitable Donation Number: 77-0563069
All donations make a difference. Donate any amount NOW!
$5 – $10 – $25 – $100 – $1000 – Be Generous
Donate via PayPal:
When making a Donation please state the purpose:
Our plan presents a dynamic shift in the T-Houses (Transitional Housing Facility) service models. On Higher Ground offers expanded services and, solutions to many of the industry-wide failings. This is a financially self-supporting enterprise, although we do accept private donations, grants and targeted funding by other agencies.
With needs expanding and desired housing services growing our model will capture substantial attention of the clientele in need.
This housing/life skills center will address some of the needs of the California realignment plan.
On Higher Ground will:
- Be located outside of residential neighborhoods, among commercial activity
- Conform to all planning, zoning and fire codes for Group Quarters, Residential Halls and Dorms
- Allow the City/County better zoning enforcement without disrupting needed, and valuable transitional services
- Be a non-profit financially self-supporting enterprise relieving the City and County of some burden for services.
- Be an alternative to the current SLE culture
- Provide appropriate and auxiliary services and assessments (i.e. job placement, education evaluation and mentoring)
- Offer a formalized living and self-management system
- Offer competitive rents and fees
- Create a more intentional transition trajectory
- Meet State requirements and CAARR – SLE Standards
Through structured group housing, self-care skills-building, proper nourishment, physical fitness, peer-to-peer support, mentoring, and community service we will encourage participants to have a more deliberate life plan, setting them on a trajectory for future success. This transition point will empower individuals to become productive members of society, with scholastic, job and entrepreneurial success.
On Higher Ground will include a large kitchen and dining area, adequate bedroom and bathroom spaces, including laundry, separate living, study, and meeting rooms. This will be a model project that will inspire hope and can be replicated.
This fully self-supporting facility will rely on rents and fees from the clients, donations from the general public and partnerships with private and public organizations and businesses. As a 501(c)(3) charitable organization we do accept grants, loans and tax-deductible donations to further our mission.
When we engage others we affect how others engage.™
Copyright 2011 – Community Housing Land Trust of Santa Cruz County, Inc.
All rights reserved.